Growing up in a house hold that revolved in family time and family meals, you can imagine how much cooking was participated in. I recently read a very great book by Michael Pollan called "Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. Michael Pollan's book is an easy-to-use guide that focuses on a variety of traditions, and suggests how different cultures through out the ages have came to the same conclusion about food. Whether your at a supermarket or at an all-you-can-eat buffet, this is the perfect guide for anyone who ever wondered, “What should I eat?” Enjoy.
1. Eat only foods that are cooked by humans.
If you are going to let other people cook for you, you're much better off if they are other humans, rather than corporations. Generally, corporations use too much salt, fat, and sugar, as well as preservatives, colorings, and other biological novelties. Treat restaurant meals as special occasions and cook mostly with other humans.
2. If you have the space, buy a freezer.
When you find a good source of pasteurized meat, you'll want to buy it in quantity. Buying meat in bulk is one way to eat well on a budget. A chest freezer is surprisingly inexpensive to operate, because they aren't opened nearly enough as the one in your refrigerator. A freezer will enable you to stock up on food from the farmers' market, and encourage you to buy produce in bulk at the height of the season, when it is most abundant and therefore cheapest.
3. Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.
Remember cooking food is supposed to be fun, start at the basics and go from there.
4. COOK.
Don't let cooking scare you, cooking opens your eyes to what your putting in your body and the feeling you get when you successfully cook your first meal by your self and it actually tastes good.

I have to agree with cooking. There was a time when I couldn't cook. I didn't even know how to make a grilled cheese sandwich. But I eventually became determined to learn. I did, and I love it. And now am passing it along to my children.
ReplyDelete